Billabong Big Wave Irland 2013 – Wartezeit abgelaufen

Nachdem der Eddie in Waimea Bay dieses Jahr mal wieder NICHT stattgefunden hat, ist nun auch die Wartezeit des Billabong Big Wave Event in Irland abgelaufen. Nach zwei möglichen Startschüssen wurde jedoch nie endgültig grünes Licht gegeben. Die “Waiting Period” wurde bis zum 01. März festgelegt und leider ist kein potentieller Swell mehr in Aussicht. Es war somit das zweite Jahr in Folge, dass die Bedingungen nicht perfekt waren.

 “From observation it seems that every three years the jet stream in winter shifts a bit which allows for a spell of favourable weather and calmer offshore winds while still pulsing in huge swells from winter storms far out to sea. In the interest of safety for all our competitors, plus as a visual extravaganza for our specators, the event in 2011 is the benchmark we measure up to in terms of green lighting the competition.
So we remain hopeful that more favourable conditions, like in 2011, will prevail next winter when the giant storm swells start battering our northwest coastline again. In the meantime I’d like to express a big thanks to all those competitors, sponsors and organisers who were there ready to stage and particpate in this year’s event on the two occasions we went to amber. Hopefully next year the waiting period provides better conditions and we get a solid green for go.” so der Contest Direktor Paul O’Kane.


Newsletter Terms & Conditions

Please enter your email so we can keep you updated with news, features and the latest offers. If you are not interested you can unsubscribe at any time. We will never sell your data and you'll only get messages from us and our partners whose products and services we think you'll enjoy.

Read our full Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions.